Turns out, the drinks you enjoy at your local coffee shop are just as easy to make as the coffee you brew every day. So, we're asking our roasters to share their favorite café recipes that you can whip up from home! Today, we're stopping by Santa Barbara, California's Dune Coffee Roasters with a dessert-like treat.
Today's cold brew-based drink is really wonderful and complex, but very easy to build and assemble. I drew inspiration for this drink from a local chocolatier, Jessica Foster, who makes some of the best dairy and non-dairy truffles I've ever tasted before.
I wanted this drink to have the flavor profile of a dark chocolate raspberry truffle, using coconut and muscovado sugar foam that I've made for a signature drink in a barista competition in the past.
- 35 grams medium-fine ground coffee (we used Dune House Blend)
- 400 ml water
- 4 oz raspberries
- 1 can coconut cream (you can substitute coconut milk in a pinch, but foam will be harder to create)
- 2 parts muscovado sugar (or brown or dark brown sugar)
- 1 part water
- Pinch of salt (no more than .5 grams)
- Prepare cold brew with ground coffee and room temperature water. Let sit for at least 24 hours
- To make raspberry juice, muddle berries until juice starts to appear
- Make coconut foam by combining coconut cream with 15 grams muscovado sugar syrup (made from water and sugar) and salt in an iSi whipper. Screw on the lid and shake well to incorporate ingredients. Charge the whipper with two nitrogen charges and store in refrigerator for six hours before serving. Shake the whipper well before dispensing foam.
- If you don't own an iSi whipper, combine coconut cream, simple syrup, and salt in a chilled stand mixing bowl or mixing bowl. Use a whisk attachment or whisk to whip together until foam stands up on its own
- Find glass of choice and add ice
- Pour desired amount of cold brew (we used about six to eight ounces) on top of ice
- Add a bar spoon of raspberry juice directly into glass and stir to incorporate
- Layer foam on top of cold brew. Foam should be thick enough to sit on top of liquid
- Garnish (optional) with one or two raspberries right on top of foam
- Drink through the foam, getting a bit of both foam and cold brew with each sip. Enjoy!