How to Naturally Balance Your Mood with Adaptogens and Coffee
For many of us, coffee is a sacred, sensory ritual: the gentle hum of the coffee grinder, the bitter, earthy aroma of freshly ground beans, the first sip of a well-brewed cup.
Some espresso enthusiasts and decaf coffee fanatics alike may even reject the idea of any morning beverage besides coffee. After all, it has proven health benefits. But, what if there was a way to make your morning coffee ritual even more beneficial for your overall well-being?
Enter: adaptogen coffee.
In this short guide, we’ll review the top five benefits of adding adaptogens to your regular coffee-drinking routine.
What Are Adaptogens?
First things first: while you may know all about drinking black coffee, you may be less confident in your adaptogen knowledge.
Adaptogens are plants and fungi that can help your body adapt and cope with stress. Dr. Brenda Powell explains for Time that adaptogens may do for your mind what exercise does for your body:
“When we exercise, it’s a stress on our body. But as we continue to train and exercise, our body becomes better at dealing with the stress of it, so we no longer get as tired or as high a heart rate. [With adaptogens], you’re training your body to handle the effects of stress.”
Adaptogens don’t work directly on neurotransmitters. Instead, they decrease inflammation, fight oxidation, and have a number of additional benefits that help our bodies better cope with stress.
In turn, without all of our mental energy focused on stress, we have the cognitive resources to develop healthy thought patterns and stress response strategies.
Types of Adaptogens
There are many purportedly adaptogenic herbs and extracts, including:
- Reishi mushroom
- Shiitake mushroom
- Holy basil
Most of these plants have been used in traditional medicine for millennia, while others are newer discoveries. However, modern science is working double-time to investigate adaptogens’ health benefits and understand the specific mechanisms that make them so effective.
Adaptogens are generally considered risk-free with few negative side effects. Many of these plants and herbs are frequently used in cooking — you may already have a few in your pantry. However, some have a bitter or medicinal flavor that makes them less than well-suited for your next dinner party.
The good news? Coffee can mask the strong tastes of adaptogens. By combining stronger coffee and adaptogens, you’ll develop your own personal morning elixir with benefits that extend well beyond your wakeup routine.
Two opposite strategies might be equally successful. On one hand, a coffee with earthy (or nutty, as the case may be) flavor notes similar to the adaptogen could make that flavor blend pleasantly into the coffee’s sweetness. On the other hand, a high acidity coffee could cut through that earthiness for something more refreshing
CBD: Providing Similar Benefits of Adaptogens
Another naturally occurring substance that provides similar effects is CBD oil tinctures. While CBD isn’t necessarily an adaptogen, it provides similar benefits. Because they both have similar functions, CBD and adaptogens pair perfectly together to promote stress balance within the body.
Benefits of Drinking Adaptogenic Coffee for Mood and Energy
Next, we’ll take a look at some potential ground adaptogen coffee benefits.
#1 Improve Your Focus and Energy
Outside coffee culture circles, many people think caffeine is the primary benefit of coffee. However, coffee has much more to it than that:
Coffee is rich in polyphenols. These compounds are found in fruit, vegetables, and coffee beans. They are most commonly known for their help in modulating energy. Coffee also contains vitamins B2, B3, B5, Manganese, and Potassium. These are all important elements of a well-rounded diet.
Coffee also contains vitamins B2, B3, B5, Manganese, and Potassium. These are all important elements of a well-rounded diet.
The adaptogens can help to prolong and enhance coffee’s revitalizing effect:
Cordyceps – These long, tubular mushrooms are a staple in Ayurvedic Healing and Traditional Chinese Medicine. In both of these traditions, cordyceps are used to help sustain healthy energy levels.
Rhodiola – A powerful herb found in the mountains of Europe and Asia, Rhodiola Rosea is thought to improve stamina. At least two clinical studies have demonstrated that it can reduce fatigue throughout the day.
The best way to enjoy these adaptogens? A cup of coffee to wash down your Stay Sharp capsule. In addition to its CBD for energy and focus), these capsules are doctor-formulated with Rosemary, Celastrus, and Gingko Biloba for powerful focus-enhancing effects.
You may think of CBD and other hemp-derived products as vessels for relaxation and sleep. However, CBD can help stabilize healthy energy levels throughout the day. It interacts with the Endocannabinoid System (ECS) to help your body achieve homeostasis. When combined with other energy-boosting herbs, you may feel more energetically balanced throughout your day.
#2 Reduce Stress
When you think of stress-busting beverages, herbal teas of chamomile and peppermint may come to mind. However, when combined with the power of CBD and adaptogenic herbs, your morning coffee can be a source of energy and calm. At its core, stress is an inflammatory response.
When we perceive a threat—whether a reckless driver on our commute or a big presentation at work—our stress response kicks in.
The adrenal glands start to produce stress hormones that put the body on high alert, it, making your pulse faster and your blood pressure higher.
Adaptogens like CBD help to reduce inflammation caused by occasional stress. Without such an acute stress response, it’s much easier to clock that reckless driver and switch lanes. Likewise, you can take a deep breath and get ready for your presentation.
Plant People’s Be Calm capsules combine CBD with several soothing adaptogenic herbs:
- Albizia – Known as the “tree of happiness,” Albizia is a great calm promoting adaptogen. Traditional Chinese Medicine uses Albizia Tree flowers and bark to uplift mood and support you in coping with stress and anxiety.
- Avena Sativa – Also known as oat straw, Avena Sativa is another powerhouse adaptogenic herb known to soothe nerves and leave you feeling positive.
- Ashwagandha – One of the most popular adaptogens for stress, ashwagandha is also anti-inflammatory and thought to help improve focus.
- Holy Basil – Also referred to as Tulsi, holy basil is a staple in Ayurveda. This adaptogenic herb is thought to have a number of health benefits, including preventing a variety of illnesses and ailments. Tulsi is also commonly known to help support digestion. In traditional medicine, holy basil leaves are chewed to help ease tension and nerves.
Enjoy a capsule alongside your morning cup to feel both focused and relaxed.
#3 Boost Immunity
Coffee is already good for your immune function capabilities. Does that come as a surprise?
Maybe unknowingly, many of us get a decent amount of our daily antioxidants from our regular cup of coffee. These compounds have a host of beneficial effects:
- Antioxidants work to heal cellular damage caused by smoke, ozone, environmental pollutants and UV rays.
- By helping repair and prevent the spread of damage internally, antioxidants reduce our body’s inflammatory response.
- With fewer fires to put out and more cellular support, our immune system can combat threats more efficiently and effectively.
Another great source of antioxidants? CBD. Full-spectrum CBD oil is thought to soothe post-exercise inflammation thanks to its antioxidants, and its bettering effect on our stress response. Because of these soothing benefits, many people use CBD for muscle pain.
The Best Recipe for Adaptogenic Coffee Benefits Drops+ Mind and Body drops are the perfect addition to any coffee from Trade, no matter what your preference — because different people need different types of coffee.
Trade's selection of freshly roasted coffee delivered to your door makes it easy to enjoy a mood-balancing cup at home.
- Brew your coffee to your preferred strength
- Add a creamer of your choice: half and half, oat milk, nut milk
- Add in a dropper of CBD — your CBD dosage will be unique to you — and enjoy your herbal coffee
The trick here is to be sure that your creamer contains fat. CBD is hydrophobic and lipophilic, meaning it binds with fat rather than water.
#4 Soothe Soreness
Coffee can help to reduce physical discomfort through at least two mechanisms:
- Antioxidants reduce inflammation
- Caffeine is analgesic and can help diminish our perception of soreness
- Even the low levels of caffeine in decaf may have a beneficial effect
- One of CBD’s most well-known benefits is its ability to reduce post-exercise inflammation and other kinds of discomfort, making it an ideal accompaniment for regular coffee.
- Whether you’re sore from a workout or you’re noticing discomfort in your knee, adaptogenic coffee may leave you feeling more at ease in your body.
#5 Get More Sleep
Coffee for better sleep may seem counterintuitive. However, due to the benefits described above, adaptogenic coffee can actually help you manage a healthy sleep cycle.
How does this work?
- Thanks to your added adaptogens, a single cup of coffee’s effects may last longer throughout the day.
- CBD and other beneficial herbs help maintain your body’s homeostasis. Even if you do enjoy a variety of espresso coffee drinks throughout the day, low levels of inflammation, relaxed muscles, and overall reduced stress and anxiety can make it easier to turn off your mind at night and get a good night’s sleep.
Adding Mind+Body Drops to your regular cup of Trade or taking a Be Calm capsule along with your afternoon beverage can go a long way in balancing your mood and energy throughout the day. If you need a little extra help turning off in the evening, a dropper of Drops+ Sleep should have you covered. You can take CBD solo at night, too.
Plant People’s Elevated Herbal Recipes
At Plant People, we believe in the healing powers of plants and fungi. We’ve formulated our CBD capsules and oils, as well as our hemp-free Advanced Immune Power capsules, with a blend of adaptogens that pay homage to traditional medicine and modern science alike.
We also believe that every meal and beverage is an opportunity for self-care and enhanced wellness. High-quality, organic foods, and drinks like butter or a cup of coffee are full of antioxidants, vitamins, and nutrients that can pair with our supplements to help you achieve a perfect balance throughout your day.
For the perfect pairing, add our adaptogenic CBD into your favorite cup of Trade when you brew coffee at home. You’ll feel and love the mood-balancing effects of adaptogenic coffee.
Are you looking for single origin coffee or coffee blends that harness the power of plants? Take our coffee quiz to discover and customize the perfect brew choice for you to discover coffees that pair well with adaptogens.